About the role
- Interview date: 21/3/2024
- Job reference RNR002050
At Swindon Borough Council, we want our town to be the best it can be. Our ambitious vision is supported by realistic transformation programmes, with the people of Swindon at their heart. Because that’s who we’re doing it for – the communities and businesses that make our town great. As part of the Council, you’ll support a friendly local authority making decisions with real impact. It’s all for better public services. Better processes. And a better quality of life, for everyone. Join us, and Swindon will be better with you.
Due to further expansion of the Educational Psychology Service (EPS), we are looking to recruit enthusiastic Educational Psychologists (EP) for permanent positions within our friendly and supportive team. We would welcome applications from qualified EPs as well as second and final year trainee EPs.
Swindon is a small unitary authority that is easily accessible and is an exciting and innovative place to work; recently having been selected by the DfE as a joint leader within the South West for the SEND Change Programme Partnership. The EPS operates within a newly structured Education, Inclusion and Skills Service within Children’s Services and is centrally located close to the town centre. Swindon Borough Council are currently operating a hybrid working model which involves a mixture of working on site and remotely in order to promote and encourage a positive work life balance.
We are a well-respected, valued team with good relationships with schools and other partners. We provide statutory services on behalf of the Local Authority and have a successful traded service to schools that has enabled us to expand and diversify. The EPS is committed to multi-agency working and improving outcomes for children and families.
Within the service we place a particular focus on team well-being and protecting the provision of regular quality supervision. EPs enjoy varied opportunities to develop and deliver interventions and creative ways of working such as group supervision, coaching, consultation clinics, circles of support, organisational research, ELSA and Cygnet. Additionally the MeLSA (Mediating Learning Approach) programme has become a new edition to our traded offer to schools for the first time this year.
Please consider making an application if you are:
- Committed to supporting the inclusion of vulnerable children and young people
- Place children and young people at the centre of your practice
- Creative, flexible, positive and focused on solutions
- Able to work successfully in a multi-disciplinary team
- Able to develop positive working relationships with other practitioners and partners
- Pro-active in developing and sharing your knowledge and skills
We offer regular support and supervision, appraisals, induction, excellent CPD opportunities and flexible working practices. An ability to travel throughout the Borough, flexible working and an enhanced DBS disclosure will be required. All applicants must be registered with the Health & Care Professions Council (HCPC); operate within the professional code of ethics and practice guidelines; and be fluent in the English language (as a requirement of Part 7 of the Immigration Act – “for the effective performance of a customer-facing role”). We are committed to making our organisation as diverse as our community and therefore particularly welcome applications from people from black and minority ethnic backgrounds, disabled people, and people from other diverse communities who are currently under-represented within our organisation.
Quotes from our current employees
Why EPs enjoy working within Swindon EPS
- Swindon EPS is a great service to work for, where I feel fully supported and valued by my colleagues and managers.
- We have a lovely team and it is a reflective environment to work within.
- I really enjoy the breadth of work offered within Swindon EPS and find that there are opportunities here to expand my areas of interest.
- I feel that the team is made up of EPs who are forward-thinking, and enthusiastic.
- I feel my time is protected through the allocation model and there are ongoing discussions around wellbeing.
What Swindon EPS has to offer
- I have been given lots of opportunity to engage in a variety of initiatives within the service which allows me to apply psychology across a range of contexts, whilst also supporting my professional development.
- A determination to improve as a service, and apply psychology to support those we work with.
- A good balance between traded and statutory work.
- Opportunities to work at different levels (casework, school, LA) and with different stake holders (virtual school for children looked after, foster care team).
- There is a good balance in Swindon of autonomy (so that I can choose the ways I practice) and boundaries (so that I know what to expect and what is expected of me).
Your next package
As an employee, you will receive a diverse and exciting environment in which to work, encouraging creativity and innovation whilst recognising the need to support ongoing personal development and a flexible work life balance.
For Swindon to thrive in the future, we need to lay the foundations now. It’s why our regeneration and transformation programmes are already underway. So, you’ll be joining us at an exciting time on our journey. We’ll look to you to share your knowledge, influence decisions and drive real, positive change. With your contributions, we’ll achieve our vision of a prosperous, re-vitalised Swindon together. And you’ll be proud to say it was made better with you.
Please see our Vision and Values page for more details.
Your next steps
Read the Role profile.
Potential applicants are sometimes put off if they don’t meet 100% of the requirements. We think individual experience, skills and passion make all the difference, so if you are a registered practitioner and meet the majority of the criteria, we’d love to hear from you.
For an informal discussion please contact
- Alexa Denham, Principal EP on email@example.com or
- Suzanne Horgan, Deputy Principal EP on firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are experiencing technical issues submitting your application please email email@example.com
We follow the CAP Code for employment ads.